Microsoft Teams is heavily dependent on cache files; it is not uncommon to see 15,000 files in the Teams cache directory. With this many cache processes happening it is easy to see why clearing the cache will resolve a myriad of Teams issues like camera freezes, plug-in issues, and interface issues. This document will show you how to efficiently clear the cache and show some examples of common problems caused by corrupted cache files.
Clearing the Teams Cache
When you encounter a problem with Teams and you have determined it is not a settings or procedural error clearing the cache will more then likely resolve the problem.
- Start by closing Microsoft Teams and Microsoft Outlook both on the desktop and in your running programs:
- Once they are closed type the following into your tool bar search function. %appdata%\microsoft\teams and then press Enter.
- You will see a File Explorer window pop up to the Teams cache directory. In that window select Ctrl-A to select all files in the directory and hit Delete.
4. Reopen Microsoft Teams and Microsoft Outlook and verify if this resolved the issue.
Common Problems Clearing Cache Can Resolve
Teams Meeting Add-in Disappearing
ISSUE - Teams meeting add-in for Outlook keeps disappearing even after reenabling it from Disabled Com Add-ins in Outlook.
Follow the clear the cache procedure and then re-enable the plug in from Outlook under File -> Options -> Add-ins should resolve the issue:
Camera or Screen Freezing
ISSUE - It is common to have a user report that his camera or far end video keep freezing or other intermittent performance issues.
- First verify this is not a connection or bandwidth issue by various troubleshooting methods and testing a call with the user in a known good environment. You may also want to look at the Call Health statistics while on the call. See this link for an explanation of the displayed statistics.
- If you can not detect a call quality issue, the procedure for clearing the cache has proven successful for this issue.
Issues with Microsoft Teams Interface
ISSUE - Interface or usability in Microsoft Teams like display of user icons, inability to update a picture, or missing information in the interface.
Verify the issue is not present in your Teams instance. If it is not reproducible, the procedure for clearing the cache has proven successful for this issue.